Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:31:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        darklogik@pittgoth.com, FreeBSD-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: should i be using sgml or xml?

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Nik Clayton wrote:

NC> We could add this to the doc/share/*.mk files relatively easily, except
NC> for the dependence on the XML catalog file (which could be added to the
NC> docproj meta-port).
NC>
NC> Thoughts?

My thoughts, for what they are worth, are that I can see a small advantage
in having XML as a potential doc output format, although I have yet to
work out what advantage XML has over HTML for this kind of work.  I don't
really see a disadvantage (I doubt this bloats the toolchain
significantly) and it does seem that the world is moving slowly towards
XML being the defacto standard for everything.  Perhaps now is the time to
start playing around with it.  After all, by your timescale, there are >
18 months to play :)

Incidentally, I was amused, and somewhat irritated, to find that Office 2k
outputs XML with a .html extension when you choose 'save as HTML'.  I do
wish software wouldn't lie about what it is doing...

--
Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>