Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:34:09 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: restoring dumps from crashed drive

--On 27 October 2003 09:41 -0500 "Dave [Hawk-Systems]"
<dave@hawk-systems.com> wrote:

> The dissapointment (or misunderstanding on my part of what dump/restore
> could handle) is that the hardware was identical, including the new hard
> drive make/model.  Absolutely nothing had changed, it just didn't seem up
> to the task of restoring over a basic file system.
>
> one of those "never know if it worksuntill you have a disaster"...  well
> we had one, and it didn't.

You know you should really test this stuff, before finding out it doesn't
work for a 'live system' problem? :)

We've used dump here for ages - and we've tested it (and continue to test
it every now and again by getting a spare machine together and doing a full
restore to it) - as well as testing the actual dumped data.

I'm not saying just because it works for us, it's perfect, or always going
to work - but just to let you know, there are some people out there using
it, for whom it does actually work :-)

Regards,

Karl