Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 02:21:48 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/38573: ping -o option (exit after one reply)

On 2002-05-27 at 01:10:03 Dima Dorfman wrote:

DD>  David Taylor <davidt@yadt.co.uk> wrote:
DD>  > ping -o will exit after receiving a single reply packet, which is useful
DD>  > for trying to see if a host/link is alive at all (which is what the script
DD>  > was attempting to to do :).

DD>  Isn't this the same as `ping -c 1`?

I think the -o switch is meant to complement the -c switch, as in:

  ping -c 10 -o example.com

This will try to ping 10 times, but it exits (with status 0) as soon
as any reply is returned, instead of always finishing all 10 pings.

Cheers,
--
Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>
PGP Key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dim/dim.asc