Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 16:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        Jordan Krushen <wired@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Live video + Apache

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Jordan Krushen wrote:

> I've a client that is wanting to broadcast live video over the web, and I'm

Personally, I don't care for this linguistic usage.

"The Internet" != "The Web".  Oh well...

> wondering if anyone here has some pointers as to what would be the best
> capture cards and software (drivers and codecs) to do so.. Are there any
> Apache modules, or do they simply run as separate servers?

Individual video streams don't scale to many users at decent
bandwidth.  What you need in order to scale to (large bandwidth)
* (many recipients) is "multicast".  Free software is available
for sender/receiver multicast applications, but for clients who
believe that "The Internet" == "The Web" I suggest using commercial
software.  For example, two that I know of (this is not an
exhaustive list - do a Web search for more) are Precept
and Icast (both owned now by other companies, but, the
software will still be marketed under those names, I would
guess, for a while).

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          hlamaster@arc.nasa.gov