Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:43:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Yanek Korff <ykorff@cigital.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load Balancing on Dell 1655MC

Yanek Korff wrote:
> First of all, let me apologize for the cross-post.  Not quite sure which
> the best forum for this question might be.  That said...
>
> I've got a few new Dell 1655MC blade servers Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit
> Ethernet with dual logical Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet NICs.
> They ship with some Broacom software (Advanced Control Suite) which on
> wintel provides failover and load balancing capability.  Does anyone
> know if I can get this failover/load balancing on -STABLE?

I've played with this.

The ACS replaces the firmware in order to get the load-balancing.

You aren't going to be able to do this in FreeBSD.  The firmware
documentation sucks (this card is a "Tigon III", and the last
time they made firmware or documentation available was "Tigon II").

They were supposedly going to support this on Linux, at one point,
according to their sales rep.; you could probably make that work
with FreeBSD, but AFAIK, they never really did support Linux like
they said they would.

-- Terry