Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:51:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of syscons

>From the keyboard of Mike Smith:

> Hellmuth was making noises about working on pcvt.  You might want to
> talk to him about having him focus on the vtxxx emulation features, and
> perhaps on the personality interface so that we end up with a quality
> vtxxx emulation as an option?  (hm@freebsd.org)

At that time i worked on a version of pcvt containing all the patches and
fixes people sent in and the ones i grabbed from PR's. Further, all the
ifdef spaghetti is removed (and as a result, only FreeBSD is supported
anymore) and all the dead code of the "old" way of X server interfacing.
The result is available at http://www.hcs.de/users/hm/hm-projects.html

Pcvt needs much more cleanup and some enhancements here and there, and when
i realized how much work this would be, i stopped ;-)

Instead of working on pcvt, i would let it rest in peace if it were possible
to move its functionality to a new modularized and open console driver.

The idea of such a modularized open console driver is nice and i certainly
like to work on a (pc)VT emulation for it.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77