Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:47:45 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, 'Matt Dillon' <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and qmail (RE: qmail IO problems)

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> > Qmail depends on ordered-metadata updates (Terry! :-). That
> > means if you issue a link() to the new place and a unlink() in
> > the old place it should guarantee that the link() happens
> > *BEFORE* the unlink().
>
> > > As it is, I can only recommend people to go with something
> > > like postfix, Exim or zmailer ...
> >
> > Have a look at the qmail source and the facts before you spill
> > out such a *bullshit*!
>
> If qmail depends on a behaviour which isn't guaranteed by
> some OSes ...

Under Linux ext2 doesn't even guarantee that fsync() does what it is
supposed to do. Not even postfix or whatever can work around that.

At least qmail says it requires these semantics to not loose messages.

What it boils down to is that Linux ext2 is a no-no for any no-loss
reliable mail service.

--
Andre