Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 22:24:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Not On Our Customer File <wpaladin@ic.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: enclosed ...

On Sat, 7 Jan 1995, Not On Our Customer File wrote:

> Hi:
>         1. System shutdown via "shutdown now" does not get to
>         a message such as "You may power the system off".
>         Instead you are prompted for the path of a shell or
>         <cr> as default but the system will reboot if any key
>         board activity follows; eg. exit. No shutting down crontab.
shutdown moves you to single user, great for maintenance items like
messing with your libararies.
shutdown -r does a reset
shutdown -h does the halt
All of them need a time parameter, like "now".

>         2. CDROM case proclaims JPEG, XView, emacs, ghostscript etc.
>
>                 *** BUT they're not there ...
>                     where are the adver. utiliies ?
>                                                      --   Bill Paladino

Take a look at packages directory, try it with the pkg_info and pkg_add
commands, you'll love it (do it as root!).  These are pre-compiled
binaries, and the pkg_xxx commands do all the installation dirty work for
you.  Don't forget, after you've added the neat packages you'll find, to
do a rehash command so your shell session can find them.....

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!