Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:17:51 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?  :-)

> On Jun 06, 1997 at 08:49:02PM +0100, Geir Eivind Mork wrote:
> > But I was using 4os/2 as my primary shell in Os/2, how can I emulate it's
> > features (except alias) in BSD (I use the standar shell in BSD).. Like the
> >  TAB feature,  the doskey-alike feature (browse previous commands) etc.
> >
> > And btw; Can I use some sort of macro in the prompt ? Like I did in
> > dos/4os? Like the famous $p$g? I haven't figured out something like that
> > from the man(uals)

tcsh (or zsh if you're more of a Bourne fan) will blow 4os/2 out of the
water. 4os/2 (and before 4DOS) was modeled after UNIX shells... You'll find
many more features in tcsh/zsh than in 4os/2.

I can even say that the first version of 4DOS to support completion wasn't
using TAB but F8 (if my memory is right). After many people -- including me
-- told the authors that UNIX shells used TAB, they added TAB support.

Too bad they got it wrong. TAB cycles through the completion and that's
irritating compared to the way of tcsh/zsh (complete till ambiguity).

As for your BTW, here is my prompt setting (tcsh but zsh has the same
syntax for PS1):

set prompt="%h [%T] %B%n%b@%m:%B%.2%#%b "

It gives you something like this

255 [23:12] roberto@keltia:/build/ap2>

if you're yourself and this if you're root:

230 [22:48] root@keltia:~#
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #20: Fri Jun 13 00:16:13 CEST 1997