Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 00:04:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <kellers@njit.edu>
Subject:   NFS/NIS... arg!

I've got courses to teach FreeBSD in FreeBSD coming up Real Soon Now.
I've set up our instructional lab to use NIS/NFS from a master server so
that all the student UID's are authenticated from the same server and have
their home directories mounted on the same, central, server.

The problem is that the NIS/NFS combination is way too slow.  It's far
from "snappy" in the command line environment and in Desktop mode (one of
the last sections in the curriculum is "Advanced Desktops") loading is so
slow it's as though time itself has stopped.

Are there any alternatives to the NIS/NFS combo in FreeBSD land?  I've
heard from some of the SUN admins in the University that AFS is far
superior to NFS in handling remote home directoried and that it's
"tolerable" in loading remote desktops (KDE --yes I know it's an I/O
resource hog-- in particular).

In December I managed to successfully build OpenAFS, but I never got it to
properly install.  Has there been any progress with OpenAFS, or is there
another alternative to centralized login/home directories for FreeBSD
of which I'm not aware.

Thanks in advance for any suggeswtions y'all might have.

Tim Kellers
IT Liasion
Continuing Education
New Jersey Institute of Technology