Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:10:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic linking (was Re: Using MD5 insted of DES ...)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:

> Because I don't mess with the ports, and haven't done a very good
> job of making the above fact known.  For maintenence, memory and
> speed reasons, one can seldom justify a shared shell.

I wouldn't mind forwarding this exchange to the various ports
maintainers, if that's okay with you.

> My suggestions for programs that should probably not be linked shared
> under any circumstances:
> 	Make, cp, cat, ls, *sh, cc, daemons that fork, ....
> 	mail readers, any (small) program invoked by make, or
> 	repeatedly invoked by shell scripts.  If the shared
> 	libs are on /usr, any program that needs to be
> 	able to work without /usr mounted.

Gweep.  Inetd is dynamically linked.  So are fingerd and ftpd.  Again,
would you have any objection to my contacting the various maintainers,
and referring them to you if they have questions I can't answer?  Or
would it be better if I pointed them to freebsd-hackers?

> Programs where it is likely slightly advantageous to link shared:
> 	cc1, cc1plus, cpp, as, *roff, daemons that don't
> 	fork often, any X windows program (including those in any
> 	category), specialty programs that aren't used often...

So my window manager should be linked shared, even though I believe it
forks quite a bit?

Thanks for all this info, this has been enlightening, to say the least.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."