Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:22:12 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        Mitch Shaw <zeidaot@l1.conline.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does anybody have a HP Laserjet 4L on there FreeBSD box?

Try making your lpt port not use an interrupt. I tcould be that the
IRQ line on your lpt port does not work and you would never notice it
under DOS as DOS does not use the IRQ

Similar problem with Novell's rprinter.

> Does anybody have a HP Laserjet 4L on there FreeBSD box? I have configured
> my printer the way the FreeBSD handbook says to do i.e." edit your /etc/printcap
> and create a text filter. Well it prints like a dream the line feeds are perfect
> carriage returns are perfect but it prints way to dam slow. A paragraph take 15
> minutes. My printcap and text filter is as follows.
>
> text filter..
> printf "\033&k2G" && printf "\" && exit 0
> exit 2
>
> printcap...
> lp|HP|Laserjet|Hewlett Packard| Laserjet 4L:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/output/lpd:mx#0:\
> 	:if=/usr/local/libexec/hplaser:
>
> I was wondering if thats an incorrect escape sequence?
> Ps: My printer only has 1 meg.. But I don't think thats why its printing so slow.

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

     Technical Support
     Professional Computer Manufacturers
     Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089