Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 16:45:03 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tony@rtd.com (Tony)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on ports/packages

Tony stands accused of saying:

> If I install a FreeBSD 'package', in general, what control do I have
> over where I can install it ?

Lots; check the manpage for pkg_add.

> I want to install about 20 pieces of software, most of which have
> FreeBSD packages but I really want them to install into
> /usr/local{bin/etc/lib/X11/man}.

With the exception of X stuff, the standard location for package installation
is /usr/local

> I was under the impression that most FreeBSD packages installed into /usr
> and I had little control over this,

Where did you get this impression? I don't recall any packages ever
installing into /usr other than X packages going into /usr/X11R6/

> Is this basically correct ?

No.

> tony

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[