Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:56:55 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI bad block handliong ?

>I have 3 scsi drives in a CCD array. I'm getting system crashes that I
>think are related to it. I'm also getting quite a number of error
>messages from INND about disk writing problems.

In the past, when I had a machine that would start to report a lot of
disk unhappiness, it turned out that the cable had worked itself
loose.  Make very sure all your cabling is correct, and tight, and
that your termination is correct on all devices.

>FSCK reports that it can't read blocks 25081600 - 25081609.
>How can I make the drive remap these blocks ?

SCSI drives are supposed to remap their own bad blocks.  However, if
the lossage is between the drive and the controller (as noted above),
this isn't going to happen.

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.