Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:08:18 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: fdisk seems broken for slices above cyl 1023

> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:02:33 +0930
> From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>

> On Sunday, 16 June 2002 at 23:24:01 +0200, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm battling with fdisk on a 20 GB disk with 4 slices.
> >
> > This is the disk:
> > ad0: 19077MB <TOSHIBA MK2018GAP> [38760/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
> > On FreeBSD 4.6-RC #1: Sun Jun 16 2002
> > Fdisk translates the geometry to : cylinders=2584 heads=240
> > sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)
> >
> > This disk was partitioned during sysinstal in 4 slices:
> >     /dev/ad0s1 Suspend to Disk, 0.3 GB
> >     /dev/ad0s2 FreeBSD slice 1, 8.3 GB
> >     /dev/ad0s3 FreeBSD slice 2, 8.3 GB
> >     /dev/ad0s4 other,           2.4 GB
> > (etc)
> > Still 124 ?!
> >
> > This is seriously wrong. This looks like an fdisk bug to me.
>
> Yes, correct.  fdisk truncates the cylinder number to 10 bits.  I
> looked at the code a couple of days ago, but it's such a mess that the
> best thing to do would be to throw it away and start again, possibly
> importing something from NetBSD or OpenBSD.

If anyone does get around to re-writing that, I would like to humbly
suggest that the functionality of the current fdisk, disklabel, and
boot0cfg be incorporated into it.

Seems silly to have all those separate utilities to deal with disk
preparation - even Linux's fdisk can edit BSD disklabels.

BTW, since apparently the fdisk/disklabel built into sysinstall is
separate code (or is it just some kind of scripted front-end to the
actual fdisk/disklabel?) - does it also suffer from this 10-bit
truncation issue?

Thx,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium