Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:30:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Monitor "streaking" ...

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  9 July 2001 at 21:21:01 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > For lack of a better word ... I have a Samtron 19" monitor with an NVidia
> > video card (GeForce2, I think) ... in X, I'm getting a weird "streaking"
> > effect I've never seen before ... if I open up a 'grey' background xterm,
> > of, say, half the width of the screen, the grey seems to saturate to the
> > left/right of the xterm, darkening it ... if I do white, it seems to do
> > the opposite, lighten it ...
> >
> > I'm figuring its hardware related, but figured I'd check to see if it
> > rings somethign with others before I start replacing hardware :(
>
> It could be an impedance mismatch.  I had this with an old Nanao
> monitor which had switches which added a 75 ohm resistor at the
> end of the cable.  It could also be a defective power supply.

You also might want to try a completely different brand/model of
monitor to find out wether its the card or the monitor with the
problem.

IIRC, on some Geforce2 cards (which the original poster thinks he has)
the isolation transistors on the RGB outputs can cause display quality
problems at moderately high resolutions and/or refresh rates.  A "fix"
is to remove and bypass these transistors (which requires SMD
soldering work, unfortunately). Their only purpose is static discharge
protection, so as long as you don't run around on your shag carpet
with your socks on during a really dry day and then go Zap the VGA
connector on your video card, you don't need them.

I haven't noticed this problem with my ASUS V7100 (GeForce2 MX), but
the highest resolution I usually use is 1152x864x32@72Hz.  If this is
the problem and your card is under warranty, you should probably take
it up with the card manufacturer before trying the above "fix".

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet
   - Available for IA32 (Intel x86) and Alpha architectures
   - IA64 (Itanium), PowerPC, and ARM architectures under development
   - http://www.freebsd.org