Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:32:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, nik@iii.co.uk, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

Terry Lambert wrote:
> I can resend this as private email if you don't read it here...  8-).

Umm, that was meant for people who don't know why their build is failing.

> The failure I see is in the if_de.c driver, which uses the version
> number of the build environment instead of the version number of the
> target environment.
>
> This is because there was code with conditional compilation checked
> into the 3.x source tree.
>
> Specifically, the version number is a gcc and preprocessor builtin
> that is statically defined, and is not dynamically determined, so
> even running a FreeeBSD 2.x compiler on a FreeBSD 3.x system will
> trigger the bug.
>
> I realize that this was imported directly to avoid maintenance
> issues, since the main developement platform is apparently NetBSD
> and the author wants to maintain a single set of sources.

This is a problem with a source file, not the build system as such, so
I guess it is up to whoever "looks after" the de driver in FreeBSD to
comment.

> Hm.  8-|.  The default command (ie: no arguments) should always
> "do the right thing", in my book... the subshell hack is pretty
> trivial.

Without the -m argument, make grabs the installed sys.mk and if this is
the thing that needs to be upgraded, I can't see how it can "do the
right thing". Bruce seems to think that it is possible to fix src/Makefile.
I don't see how, though. [I'm sounding like a broken record, so I'd better
shut up now 8-) ]

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137