Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:03:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@cnmnetwork.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cl-gd5480

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Rudy Gireyev wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Tried this on -questions without much success, hoping for better luck here.
>
> I'm trying to get Xwindows to tame my VGA setup without much luck. The
> setup is Cirrus Logic CL-GD5480 card (4Meg) and a 21 inch IBM 9504
> Black and White VGA monitor. Funny enough the card is listed in the
> XF86config, and I pulled horizontal and vertical refresh rates for the
> monitor from the IBM website. When I run startx the screen flickers
> and is unreadable, going through resolutions with Ctl-Alt-+ simply
> shows different flicker type.
> If you have a similar setup and got it to work or (unlike me) you know
> what's going on please lemme know.

Rudy, probably the answer is because your problem is to do with XFree86,
not FreeBSD.  The XFree86 folks do their own mailing lists, out of
majordomo@xfree86.org, and they handle subjects that aren't done by
FreeBSD.  While we all use XFree86 stuff, we don't maintain it.

This is the wrong place to discuss this ... you should point your
browser at www.xfree86.org, read the FAQ, and that'll probably do you.
It sounds very much like you have got problems in your XF86Config file
(mine is in the default spot, /etc/XF86Config).  I usually just use the
script that XFree86 supplies, XF86Setup, to select the best
configuration.  Since I've done this before, I go into the XF86Config
file afterwards and tweak, but it gives you a stable starting point.

Did you use XF86Setup to start your XF86Config file out?  I know
perfectly well that the Cirrus card you have is supported by the SVGA
server, and quite well, in fact (I have a similar one).

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).