Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:04:56 -0700
From:      Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

   Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 02:15:24 -0700
   From: "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>

   >>> Thomas Gellekum said:
    > I have never seen the question actually answered:  is anyone working
    > on a port?  What kind of experience is required (if _you_ say you
    > don't have enough system-level experience I probably shouldn't be
    > asking this)?
    >
    > tg

   A quick search showed that there is a Linux mailing list and an Ftp site
   for the linux work. substance.blackdown.org:/pub/Java/linux

   There was a reference to Nat Williams for porting the Sun-style Makefiles
   to gnu-style Makefiles. So I am wondering if anyone out there
   is holding back info on the current java port for FreeBSD :)

	   Amancio

I've been trying to feel this out myself over the last couple of days.
There have been no messages on the java-porting list about FreeBSD
since you kind of said you gave up, Amancio.  If no one speaks up, I'm
just about committed to spending 2 months full time on such a project
starting Aug. 1.

It's a daunting task.  Never mind the Sparc assembly code, which seems
to be mostly gratuitous except for some code that flushes register
windows.  There are a *lot* of dependencies on the Sparc register set,
stack layout, Solaris threads, etc....  Ah, well.  I can never resist
a grungy language port.

Tim