Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:29:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange MTU related (?) problem

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Marc Slemko wrote:

> In any case, the proper fix is probably to complain to slashdot and tell
> them to fix their probably broken systems.  Unfortunately, without access
> to both ends, determining if that is the case for sure isn't easy.

Well, I just reproduced the same thing on my test setup here by lowering
the MTU on the router in the middle, so it looks like it is almost
certainly near slashdot's end, probably with their load balancers.  So
I'm going to drop a note to them asking them to smarten up...

As for the general case, education is the only answer.  People need to
understand that ICMP matters, and that TCP is complex and you need
chimps to work on it, not mere monkeys.