Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 22:14:26 -0500
From:      John Gunkel <jgunkel@tbf.net>
To:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   virtual hosts through gateway to dummy net device

Is it possible?

My provider is suggesting that he would like my virtual host(s) on a different
subnet that my machine's IP address. This would be no big problem, but
then he also mentions that my machine would have to do some gatewaying.
(My apologies for being so vague, he's no easy guy to get info from.)

Anyway, I conjured up the idea of creating another dummy device to bind
to the virtual host subnet, but get the response "no route to host" when I try
to ping it.

the device name is lo1, (the second loopback device: NOT 127.0.0.1)
is configured in a similar way to lo0 except that it has the address
192.168.2.1 whereas ed0 has the address 192.168.1.1 and works
beautifully.

If someone can decipher this, or can point me to some resources
it would be much apreciated.

Thanks.

John