Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2016 19:11:10 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Facing a strange problem

Hi,

I am facing a strange situation on my FreeBSD (10.3 amd64) box - some very=
=20
subtle hardware problem which I cannot determine what and which is causing =
me
a lot of grief.

I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU and DDR RAM because the previous=20
hardware was making a lot of high-pitched noise. After installing the new=20
MB + CPU + CPU fan RAM, the high-pitched noise (which resembles a bad=20
bearing turning furiously) has not gone away. The pitch has changed, but th=
ere
is an incessant noise which becomes pretty irritating after some time sitti=
ng=20
next to the PC.

The noise is most pronounced as I hover and move among the categories in=20
the gnome3 Applications menu. I have no idea whether this has anything to d=
o=20
with Radeon HD 8470D onboard graphics chip, which is currently unsupported=
=20
on FreeBSD and has to be driven with the vesa driver. But it is a=20
possibility because, as far as I remember, the noise was not present when=20
I was running Windows XP with the correct official graphics driver. If the=
=20
noise is related to graphics, then quite likely the source would be the=20
RAM modules - my system's video RAM comes from the main RAM.

Other possibilities include the power supply unit and the cables. I am=20
currently ruling out the MB, CPU and CPU fan because all of them are brand=
=20
new. I suppose the hard disk can also be ruled out it is a solid state=20
disk purchased just 2 months back. Except for the mouse, all USB devices=20
too can be ruled too because I disconnected all USB peripherals (bar=20
the mouse, for which I changed the port from backside to front) and the=20
noise keeps coming unabated.

Anyone who can help my identify the root cause would do an immense favour.=
=20
Short of buying a new computer, I am perfectly willing to spend some money=
=20
for new hardware that could put a fullstop to this messy noise. If the=20
noise is deemed to be from RAM, would installing a separate graphics card=20
solve the issue ? Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for any help.
Manish Jain