Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:09:09 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:30:37AM -0700, R. B. Riddick wrote:

> Oh! And I am experimenting with my geom_raid5 implementation... But it is quite
> slow in write to UFS (but non-concurrrent write to raw-device is quite fast
> already). U can download it here (but it is quite difficult to integrate - many
> files have to be changed handish):
>   http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/geom_raid5.tbz

Is everybody forgetting about gvinum?  Just because it was totally broken
in 6.0 and 5.5..

What are data centers using?  I can't imagine they're all doing gmirror and
gstripe combinations..  gvinum gives you true volume management, e.g. it's
easier to wipe a mirrored "volume" and make it raid5 or vice-versa.  It is
useful to have concat + stripe + mirror + raid5 volumes managed together.

Recently I get the feeling that nobody cares about g/vinum anymore.  I'm
all for different ways of doing the same thing, but please don't drop
gvinum!  I certainly don't want to suffer through another bumpy transition,
like 5.4 --> 6.1 was..

Since I'm on my pro-vinum rant:  People already have terabytes of data
stored in vinum-managed volumes.  Forcing everybody to move things into the
new geom containers won't make legacy users very happy.  I believe there
are many 4.11 users who are waiting for gvinum to become as stable as vinum
used to be.

-- Rick C. Petty