Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:51:45 -0500
From:      GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stolen BSD code found in Linux kernel

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:37:48 +0000 (GMT)
Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Bruce Harding wrote:
> > Isn't this like a year old, and it turned out to be just one guy who
> > does this sort of thing frequently?
>
> Yes, and IIRC the BSD code was demonstration/reference code from a
> manufacturer.
>
> If they knew anything about law, would they be software developers? ;-)
>
> --
> Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris@nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
>                     "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
>  This message brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security

I think the big thing was the not the code usage, but the fact that wholesale
lots where used without attribution.  If it would have been just structures, Ok,
but variable names AND the comments to the code???  The comments were what got me...  Plus
the guys reaction to the slashdot article; It reminded me of a sixth grader!

The same thing happened again with some other code, either IPC or SCSI, but I don't have the
reference at my finger tips.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek