Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 02:52:00 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The Uses of Oxygen (was Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark)

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 11:21:53AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:

[snip]

> 	However, all that said, by far the most dangerous of all
> gases that are used in welding and similar activities is compressed
> Oxygen.  All other flammable gases will have a hard time finding
> enough oxygen to burn cleanly or completely, if they are released by
> accident (such as in an explosion).  However, with enough oxygen
> present, just about anything can be burnt very, very easily.
>
> 	I would seriously hope that these people weren't actually
> using compressed oxygen, but perhaps instead compressed Nitrogen, or
> some relatively inert gas.

Yeah, I kind of did a double-take on that too. Things like
hydrocarbons, methane, propane, are actually really, really boring and
rather inert gases. We tend to forget that it is oxygen which is the
hella-wicked, corrisive, violently reactive stuff. Just be cause we
live in this freakish atmosphere which is kept full of molecular
oxygen as a waste product of photosynthesis, we tend to think of
molecular oxygen as something that's normal. It's practically a
friggin' free radical.

I loved the Babylon 5 episode where they were afraid to use weapons
flying around in Jupiter's upper atmosphere since the methane and
other hydrocarbons would explode. Heh. Hydrocarbons are not
explosive. A hydrocarbon-oxygen mixture _is._
                                         cjclark@jhu.edu
                                         cjc@freebsd.org