Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:23:00 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of null filesystem?

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, John Polstra wrote:

> Does nullfs work in -current, and is it safe to use it?  How about
> in 2.2.6?

Kato-san has made some definite improvements, but it still has some
problems if you use it heavily.  I'm in the process of cleaning up the
WILLRELE problems, and Tor Egge has done some very good analysis of other
existing problems and has suggested some solutions.  For example, vnode
revocation complicates nullfs's caching of the lower vnode.  Tor
implemented eager recycling in his private tree and then he suggested
tracking the Capability in the nullnode when we discussed alternatives. I
think I like this approach better.

This is only happening in current.  I suggest using it casually, we could
use more eyes on it.

Regards,

Mike