Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 16:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS Setup Question

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Mark Murray wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> > 	Now, for some reason that I've yet to figure, NIS doesn't
> > work right.
> >
> > 	I'm running 'rpc.yypasswdd -m /etc/master.passwd -s -f', so
> > that updates go properly to my /etc/master.passwd file, but if I try
> > to change a pasword on one of my client machines, I get, in
> > /var/log/messages on the server machine:
>
> RTFM - the right one!
>
> rpc.yppasswdd -t /etc/master.passwd -s -f
>                ^

	First, thanks for pointing this out...

	Second, which is the right one?  I just installed 2.2-SNAP
from scratch, and the only 'man' that comes up is for yppasswdd *shrug*

	And finally...with -t, that is working now, which I thought
would fix the problem I was having in the first place...I can't
login to the NIS client machine (2.1-STABLE)

	Pointer to "the right RTFM" would be helpful, since it would
probably answer more then just th eimmediate question, but...

	I can successfully change a users password from the client
machine, but login fails.  Both machines are using DES encryption
vs MD5, which is the first thing I checked...does that even affect
things if you use NIS?  Since password changing does work, I would
have thought that the rest would by default, but it seems I'm
wrong on this?

	Oh, 'ls ~<userid>' resolves correctly also, only login
doesn't seem to be working...

	So, either a pointer to the manual to read for this, or
a pointer to what I should be looking at would be great...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org