Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:56:10 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        Denver Timothy <dlt@freeshell.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony R505

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> i bought a dell.  last week week while i was in taipei, some months after
> getting the dell, it developed a common laptop problem, lcd color changes
> etc. that could be 'fixed' by flexing of the cover/screen hings.  this
> monday, labor day, i called dell's support hotline.  today, a tech came to
> my house, yes you read that correctly, CAME TO MY HOUSE! and replaced the
> lcd.

     As much as I like Dell, you've got to read the warranty (which may
differ from system to system, or even from special to special).  Not all
of Dell's systems come standard with on-site service (I'm not sure if
it's even standard on any system, except, perhaps, as part of a special
offer).  I think the usual warranty service is "mail-in service", not
on-site.  The on-site service comes with some of the extended
warranties, which are usually an extra-cost option.

     Still, Dell's service is pretty darn impressive.  One of the hinges
on my Inspiron 7500 recently broke off (completely).  The 7500 was still
under warranty, but I had to go through the mail-in process.  I called
up Dell, and they gave me an account number and an Airborne Express
phone number to call.  I called up Airborne Express and arranged for
them to pick up my laptop (I did not have to pay for shipping, either
way).  They came the next day, and provided a shipping box (I had to
provide the shipping labels, as per Dell's instructions).  Off it went,
and I got it back, fixed, two days later.  It didn't cost me a cent,
although I did have to pull the hard disk, battery, RAM, etc..

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com