Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:33:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another usb umass question...

OK.  I have another umass qustion...

I have two external USB enclosures that I've been using... One has a
DVD burner in it and the other has a real disk in it.  I've found that
I've had some issues.  umass, unpatched, seems to filter out many of
the SCSI commands that I want to use to burn DVDs and/or run smartmon
for the disk.  Even with the slowness in usb I see on my amd64 box, it
still seems to be a faster drive than the ata dvd burner that came
with the laptop...

I also know that there are ISSUES with many of the thumb drives which
is why the filters are in place.

Is there some kind of middle ground that can accomidate both uses?  Is
there some automated way of detecting these two different cases?

Warner