Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:32:55 -0500
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Poudriere / QEMU requirement when running on Apple Silicon?

Good day,

I'm trying to bootstrap poudriere for package building. My poudriere host is a FreeBSD VM
running under VMware Fusion on Apple Silicon. My package target is arm64/aarch64 binaries.
When I start, I get an error stating that I need `qemu-user-static`. I thought that the
function of qemu was to host cross compiles but I'm under the possibly mistaken impression
that on an Apple Silicon VM, arm64 builds should be native? I'm probably just in need of a
clue.

I'm going to follow the instructions and install qemu but I'm still curious about the
requirement.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

--
Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]