Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:46:12 -0700
From:      Jason Hill <jch@xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   burncd, dao, atapi oh my

I'm running 4.5-RELEASE and would like to burn an audio cd in DAO
mode (HP8110 ATAPI).  I tried to cvsup to 5.0-CURRENT to use the new
burncd w/DAO support, but I received ioctl errors just before burning.
Checking through the mailing archives, I can't seem to find any recent
messages about this.

Is there any way of burning in DAO mode w/an ATAPI CD-RW under FreeBSD 4.5?

A couple off topic questions...

1. Why doesn't FreeBSD support ATAPI/CAM layer (as Net/OpenBSD appear to)
so that I could use cdrecord instead of burncd?

2. Why is burncd tied so closely to the kernel and not released as a port?
If burncd has a new feature, you have to upgrade the kernel to use it --
that seems crazy to me.