Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:34:58 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mestery@winternet.com (Kyle Mestery), smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP not working anymore

>> On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I have not been able to get an SMP kernel to boot on a dual PPro, 200MHz,
>>> Micronics motherboard. I do not know the exact model of the motherboard
but
>>> can find out. The last time I was able to get an SMP kernel to boot on
this
>>> system was around the end of May. It immediately locks up with the
following
>>> message:
>>>
>>> panic: mpfps Base Table Hosed!
>>>
>> I have a dual PPro Micronics motherboard (W6-LI), and it works fine.  I am
>> running a kernel from June 3rd now, but I have tried a kernel from June 7
>> with no problem (including John Dyson's SMP changes).  If your mptable is
>> hosed, I wonder if something else in your BIOS is hosed maybe.
>
> Well I had that exact probelm with my TYAN S1662D board too, until I
> upgraded to TYAN latest BIOS (v5.01). The problem seem to be nonstd
> entries in the mp tables. However if you comment out the two
> panics in mp_machdep.c the system will run just fine and ignore the
> bogus entries...

My system board is a W6-LI. It is a Micron Millennia system. According to the Micronics web site, I have to get a BIOS upgrade from Micron. For whatever reason, I have not been able to download the BIOS update; it gets about 18% done and then dies, consistently in the same place. I'm sure that means something. Anyway, I commented out the mpfps Base Table Hosed panic lines in mp_machdep.c but now I get "panic: no BPS" upon bootup. As I said, this system had been working fine with SMP for about a year. Any other ideas? Thanks.
--
Glenn Johnson
Technician