Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:42:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@hons.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to reconfigure the kernel?

> for 3.1-RELEASE..
>
> I have to change to a different NIC card and I cannot for the life of me see
> how to get to the "pick the hardware being used and resolve any conflicts"
> userconfig program.
>
> I did it once, but forget how I did it.  Another user indicated that I
> hit -c during bootup, but that is not indicated anywhere and I cannot make
> that work.

When the loader is counting down from nine, hit the space bar, and then
type "boot -c". Then, when the config prompt comes up, type "visual" to get
the gui hardware configurator.

It might be worthwhile to recompile your kernel with just the current ethernet
card.

(I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that a custom kernel performs
any better, but it does boot more quickly. And it's smaller. And it just
feels good to be able to say "This is MY kernel").