Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:48:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew@pubnix.net>
Cc:        James <j@evilcode.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newsgroup server recommendation

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Andrew wrote:

> Before you go to the trouble and expense of setting up a news server,
> I suggest you take a peek at NNTP-Cache.  Could save you many gigabytes
> of transfer and storage, plus you can setup a tiny local inn server on
> the same machine to handle the local stuff.
> Also acts as a wonderful front-end to many different news services, you
> get the best of all worlds!

  Having used nntpcache for a few years and having had obtained a
commerical license:

  - You need a license for nntpcache for commerical purposes.  It can be a
lot of money.  You do not get support with the license.

  - nntpcache is buggy.  I'm currently dealing with a runaway child issue.
Two of the last betas have a bug that prevents them from binding to the
nntp port on FreeBSD, making them useless (and very strange since
nntpcache is supposedly developed on FreeBSD).  That bug is supposedly
fixed now, but I haven't bothered to find out.

  - mailing list and website is down quite a bit of the time.

Tom