Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 02:13:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        nectar@FreeBSD.org, <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.3.1 is *SLOW*

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> Ever since this commit:
>     ----------------------------
>     date: 2002-02-04 19:12:33;  author: nectar;  state: Exp;  lines: +15 -1
>     Import of ISC BIND 8.3.1-REL.
>     ----------------------------
>
> my DNS look ups are slow, like an order of magnitude slower.
> By chance was a FreeBSD'ism left out of the upgrade?

	The slowness you are experiencing is almost certainly related to
the fact that EDNS0 negotiation was added to 8.3.0. It's slightly better
than the way they do it in BIND 9, but still adds a delay the first time
you connect to a new server that's not EDNS0 aware. It's worse if you
connect to a lot of old and/or broken servers. Given the overwhelming
suck-itude of BIND 8 < 8.3.1, it's a pain we need to live with.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?