Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Greg W <redhat_list@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken X and window managers

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Greg W wrote:

> Using 3.3 I have tried just about everything to get X and "a" window
> manager to work, not being a FreeBSD expert I have run out of ideas. I
> cannot get Gnome to work at all, nor Afterstep with Gnome , I managed
> finally after about 3 days to get KDE running, but none of the apps
> etc will work (I can get a terminal, and the menu's all operate, whoo
> hoo :-) ) ,

Have you tried NOT running Gnome?  Try just running a windown manager (say
_just_ AfterStep, no KDE or Gnome junk) and see if that works.  I was
going to play w/ Gnome for a Daemon News article and I cannot get the
thing working at all using the packages - the processes run, but they
never actually show up (for instance, starting "panel" starts the process,
but it never displays) and there are no error messages at all.  I went
back to using Window Maker.

Since I was planning to anyway, I tried using KDE - it built and displayed
just fine (I've tried about 10 of the KDE apps under Window Maker and all
work fine - I couldn't get _any_ of the Gnome apps to display).

X is not broken on FreeBSD unless you've misconfigured it and I'm
convinced my Gnome problems are something funky here as I've built other
Gnome apps (like Electric Eyes) previously and they worked.  I'm doing
this on my hand-me-down machine though which is a P5-100 and low on
memory and I'm convinced I just have something screwed up as there are
others using Gnome wo/ problems.

If you want help, we'll need to know a LOT more information, including
symptoms, error messages, how you installed the software, the versions of
software you installed, blah blah blah.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *