Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:13:47 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        woutje@chello.nl
Subject:   Re: A bunch of questions (long)

On Friday 29 March 2002 07:54 pm, Wouter Vijvers wrote:

In your mail you used -- at the start of lines to separate things.  This is a
problem since it's the conventional separator for a signature, and some
mailers (read: my mail) are "clever" enough to parse on that . . .

Anyway:

- You should not need to set up a local name server.  I happen to be running
one now but I haven't always and it worked fine before I did (I do now
because I take my laptop back & forth from work to home & it's easier to make
my own name server "clever" about that).

- No, it's not normaly for X to dump core every time you reboot.  You are
running kdm, yes?  You do you KDE?  It almost looks like you are running kdm
but then never running KDE under it and this is confusing it somehow.  I
don't run kdm or xdm myself; I boot up in console mode and use startx after
I'm logged in, so I don't think I'm the one to help you here.

- /dev/acd1c: device busy.  You are perhaps running xmms or something?  You
have to shut down any CD-reading programs hooked up to a given device before
you can mount (or burn CDs on) that same device.

- Building: are you really that short on disk space?  /usr/src is "only"
1/3G, and disks are cheap these days.  (Well, 300M seems small to me, since
it's less than 1% of my disk space, but maybe I'm spoiled.)

But I don't think any of that is relavent:  I have this file:

/usr/include/g++/sstream

and /usr/include is all you should need for compiling any program unless it's
actually part of the kernel or a kernel module, which plugger should most
certainly not be.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org