Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 02:42:10 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

>Technically, FreeBSD is a stage 2 "cult", on the cusp of achieving
>legitimacy as a "religion" (I'll keep that analogy, since it's as apt
>as any). It's actually the first Open Source project that I'm aware
>of to reach this stage (it is at least the most visible to do so),
>and that makes it a very interesting subject of study.

AFAIAA Apache has never been a cult, since right from the start it was
developed by a group of equals. Admittedly the number of developers is
tiny compared to FreeBSD so it doesn't have the same scaling problems,
but it has remained reasonably stable over the last five years and has
gracefully handled a good deal of churn in the development team.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"And remember my friend, future events such