Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:11:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backbone connections in Australia

Andrew McNaughton recently said:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Chris Foote wrote:

> > Probably your best bet is a satellite connection with your own dish
> > at Wagga Wagga (big links to Sydney would cost big bucks from where
> > you are located).

> > We have a 4Mbit satellite link, quite affordable at just over 1 million
> > per year; see:

> > 	Panamsat:    http://www.panamsat.com/
> > 	AAP Sat Tel: +61 02 9692 1089

> 1 million dollars?

> Ihug offers sattelite dishes to home users in new zealand with a similar
> arrangement re phonel ine for outgoing data. ...

I'm working for some people who had a request to service a company
in the islands East of Florida.

Panamsat was high.  The talked to another got a better price. Went
back to PanAmSat and found the price could be lowered.  The real
problem/cost in that link - which was never put in place - were the
ridiculously high charges put in place by the state-owned telephone
company for interconnection, etc.