Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:49:07 +0100
From:      Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        chuckr@telenix.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:18:00PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what/where is the best playlist
> driven audio player with a graphical UI ... there's too large a selection (both
> audio and multimedia dirs) for any reasonable manual search, and since I'm after
> a good graphical UI for it, I couldn't even construct any sort of automatic
> search I can think of, the pkg-descr files aren't that reliable.  My audio,
> which I do via spdif, already works fine (using mplayer so far) so don't give me
> directions how to *do* it, I'm just looking for a port name which offers me a
> good interface for playlists, maybe even helping me build playlists (because
> I've already loaded all my CDs to my disk).
>
> Thanks.  I'm asking for opinions, so don't hesitate to offer me your own
> favorites, I'll go look at every one suggested, and I'll really appreciate it.

IMHO using audio/musicpd gives you a very flexible solution, the mpd program
runs in the background, and you can use several clients to connect to it. You
have commandline, curses, GTK, QT, whatnot, clients. You can mix and match as
you prefer and the music will keep playing even if you quit the client ...

--
Martin Tournoij
carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net  | (+031) 621 991 576

QOTD: