Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:20:14 +0700 (OSD)
From:      Eugeny Kuzakov <kev@lab321.ru>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DBFS - A new Filesystem for FreeBSD - Proposal

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> Hi Y'all,
>
> I am building a special filesystem, purpose built for RDBMS service.  In
>
> Known Features:
>
> *  No (or very simplistic) permissions
Why ? What do you think about security ? Who many more simple file
permissions I plan implement ? ...Sorry for my english...

As I understand, RDBMS( and unix) developers should support this file
systems...I very like raw devices to use with RDBMS. More less
flexability, but more performance...But Sun Microsystems not recomends
usage RAW-devices as tablespaces for Oracle because ufs has good
performance if file access.

Additional questions:
1. Why FreeBSD ? I don't known good/big/commercial RDBMS's for FreeBSD. I
very like FreeBSD, but commercial vendors - not..., because it's freeware
and no commercial support.

2. Should RDBMS's vendors support your FS ? Or unix kernel only ?

Notice: May be some of my questions ( or all :) ) and comments not
correctly, because I don't known english very well and I not C programmer.

	Best wishes, Eugeny Kuzakov
		Laboratory 321 ( Omsk, Russia )
		kev@lab321.ru