Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rich Fox <rich@f2sys.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP aliasing Sendmail - receiving mail?!

Hi,

I have setup IP aliasing on my Freebsd machine. This morning, I noticed
traffic over my lines when theoretically there shouldn't have been any...
It turns out that some machine (appears to be mail.iglobal.net) was sending
mail through my machine...
I shut down sendmail, but thought I might run this by the net-list as I
have other plans for handling mail across my aliasing machine and wanted to
see if there was a more 'optimal' solution...

This message was received as were several others. Most of them appeared to
be headed to dyn.ml.org which is running some kind of dynamic IP <-> domain
name mapping system (which might explain why I am getting their users'
mail). It is stated on the ml.org site that this is still in beta, clearly!
Perhaps I should contact ml.org and let them know, although this mild
voyeurism is kind of fun...

I am assuming that I didn't do something quite right that allowed this to
happen, but I wanted to get a second opinion or direction before I dive
back into the FAQs...

Rich.

here's a header from one of the messages... (interesting topics I might add...)

This is a MIME-encapsulated message

--LAA08961.908290925/portal.my.domain

The original message was received at Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:54:02 -0400 (EDT)
from mail.iglobal.net [209.83.240.7]

<bower@oathbound.dyn.ml.org>

550 <bower@oathbound.dyn.ml.org>... Host unknown (Name server:
oathbound.dyn.ml.
org.: host not found)

--LAA08961.908290925/portal.my.domain

Reporting-MTA: dns; portal.my.domain
Received-From-MTA: DNS; mail.iglobal.net
Arrival-Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:54:02 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; bower@oathbound.dyn.ml.org
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; oathbound.dyn.ml.org
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:02:05 -0400 (EDT)

--LAA08961.908290925/portal.my.domain