Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:35:34 -0500
From:      Kurt Hackenberg <kh@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email Client

On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 07:17:02PM +0000, void wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 03:00:31PM -0800, Joe B wrote:
>>What's a good mobile email Client for lists? I'm on my phone 99% of the
>>time and reply to email also on Mobile.
>>
>>I'm using an android and iPhone
>
>On android, I find using the provider's web frontend, or, if your
>email provider has one, their own android app, works best. It'll be
>designed both for their own email implementation and its use within the
>android environment. I set mine to use plain txt for mailing lists.

Plain text -- fixed-length lines, about 70-80 characters -- usually is
not displayed correctly on a phone, whose screen is narrower than that.

You could turn the phone sideways, and hope that the mail reader
rotates with it.  Some do, some don't.

text/plain format=flowed (RFC 3676) can be automatically word-wrapped
to fit the screen, if the mail reader knows to do that.  (Both this
message and void's message that it replies to, are text/plain format=flowed.)

I hear that Gmail's app for Android does not either understand flowed
text or rotate.  I hear that Apple's iPhone mail reader does both.