Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 21:15:34 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: Old farts blathering (was Re: SCSI Bus redundancy... )

> > Hmm, I prefer the Varta 2.2Ah cells actually.  The Sanyo ones have lots
> > of "these are great" legends floating around, but the "really tricky"
> > charger you're describing is basically just a box with a DC regulator
> > and an energy polariser crystal, and I still never saw them create
> > energy from nowhere.
>
> Not quite.  A peak-detector charger actually pushes a lot of current into
> the battery very quickly, with amazingly little damage.  Energy is not
> created from nowhere, but comes from your car battery, in the parking lot.

Sure.  Which is why the batteries have nominal lifetimes.  8)

> > But I 'fess that most of the little driving I did was off-road, where
> > capacity per weight matters more than peak output.  I used to think
> > those weenies in the shopping centre carparks on weekends were just
> > that.  (Hmm, I guess over here you can't do that sort of thing in that
> > sort of carpark, what with 7-day shopping and all.)
>
> I switched to gas (alcohol) 1/8 scale some ten years ago.  Like the noise
> and the smell :-)

People with real incomes are no fun.

> >> Yup.  The WDT board I am polishing the driver for alarms for low-voltage
> >> on
> >> a new, EXPENSIVE, rackmount CPU box.  No, the WDT is not broken, but the
> >> 5V
> >> is really 4.73.  You are right, you have to try hard to mess up...
> >
> > Have you tried adjusting the output on the supply?  Like I said, PC
> > manufacturers are pretty stingy; it was probably factory-set at about
> > 35C and 90% RH with no more than a few minutes runtime.
>
> I just found this out minutes ago.  Then I dod not recollect any
> adjustments in the power supply, then there is the obligatory excuse
> wto not honor the warranty sticker on the power supply.

There are ways around this; either stick a screwdriver (oops, insulated
adjusting tool 8) in through the ventilation slots (if it was
designed), or drill a hole in the case where required.  Take care not
to remove the warranty label with the drill.

This is, of course, sophistry.  You could send it back under warranty...