Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:08:49 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD without console

> > I've been able to use FreeBSD sucessfully even after having removed the
> > video card and disabling the BIOS check for it.  FSD probably just had no
> > idea the video was missing although console data was still being sent to
> > this 'screen'.
>
> I've come across a problem.... when I run without a video card and run
> comconsole...  it likes to panic when sc0 is enabled.. is this normal?
> (oh and the panics just srcoll right off the screen.. if you would like I
> could log them...)  just wondering.. thanks for all the help..

I have also found this. My solution is to mod the sc device probe to
fail if the keyboard is not found. This will probably not work on all
motherboard/keyboard controllers.

I actually think the sc device should probe to see if there is a screen
controller and fail the probe if it can't find one. At the moment it
will never fail the probe.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za