Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:18:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov (George Uhl)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: MSS failure using Luigi's Driver

> I've got a Toshiba Tecra 730 laptop and I've config'ed
> the built-in sound card to use the pcm driver in
> non-pnp mode.  The kernel config file command:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
>
> A dmesg yields:
>
> pcm0 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 0 flags 0xa400 on isa

i believe that the card has two dma channels, so you should set flags
to 0x11 or 0x13 and see how things work.

BTW you did not say which OS release are you using, and
why did not use PnP . It would also help to know what chipset is used
on your card. Some laptops use the Yamaha chipset which seems to work
fine on my libretto.

> Is this just a low-budget card issue, or is it a misconfiguration
> on my part?

1) misconfiguration
2) the single-dma-channel code paths in the driver are not well tested
   and there is not much motivation for this since all the WSS cards i
   know of support dual dma channel configurations.

	cheers
	luigi