Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 18:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SIGFPE on most binaries on 386dx

I'm in the process of loading SNAP-0322 on a 386DX (33MHz).  I've loaded
the boot and cpio disks as well as bin- and secure- distributions.

Everything went well up to this point - so I went to boot to multi-user.
It failed to boot all of the way - getty reported SIGFPE continuously.
So I hit the big red switch, booted it to single-user, and fscked the
filesystems.

At this point, practically everything results in a SIGFPE and a lovely
core file. :(  It seems that everything out of /bin and /sbin run fine,
but anything out of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin result in a SIGFPE.

I thought it might have something to do with the Cyrix coprocessor (no
flames, I bought the system used at a very good price) so I pulled it.
Same thing.

Just for grins, I'm going to compile a new kernel using the GPL math
emulation, but I doubt that's going to fix the problem.

Any clues?

Hardware config is as follows:

	i386DX-33 w/SiS chipset, AMI BIOS, 8MB RAM
	Cyrix CX-83D87-33-GP
	WD-1007SE2 ISA ESDI controller
	WD (?) 16 bit ethernet card
	Monochrome display adapter