Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:04:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   changes in kernel affecting savecore/dumps ...

David gave me some suggestions to check out on the servers, but so far,
its all drawing a blank ... I have two servers right now that are updated
to recent 4.8-STABLE kernels ... one was June 22nd, and the other was
upgraded June 20th ... both of them have crashed since that date, and both
of them tell me that they are unable to produce a core file, with the same
errors:

Jun 26 04:27:14 jupiter savecore: warning: /kernel version mismatch:    "FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #2: Fri Jun 20 18:34:14 ADT 2003 " and      ""

Prior to those kernel upgrades, I had no problems generating core files,
and nothing has changed configuration wise, except as results from
upgrading the OS using 'installworld/installkernel/mergemaster' ...

On Jupiter, previous to the Jun 20th upgrade, I was able to generate two
cores off of a Jun 6th kernel, so something between Jun 6th and Jun 20th
has changed ...

Does anyone know of *anything* that may have been commit'd in that period
of time that could have affected how a crash dumps to the dumpdev?

Note that the servers don't make much use of swap as it is ... one of the
machines that is exhibiting the problem has been up 4+days now, and swap
used is:

pluto# pstat -s
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/da0s1b       8388480    10652  8377828     0%    Interleaved

when pluto crashed, I was able to get in just after and run 'savecore -f'
to generate the core file, and doing a 'strings <core> | head', I compared
it with a "good" core, and the first few bytes *look* identical, but
neither of them show anything in the first few bytes that would come close
to matching the above string, so am not sure where core_vers is read from

Help?  Right now, jupiter is going once a night, with nothing in messages
to indicate a problem, and no core to look at :(

Thanks ...