Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:46:01 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   Re: watchdog: hw+sw?

Quoting Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com> (from Thu, 2 Apr 2009 =20
16:16:34 -0700 (PDT)):

> This worked well for us so I think it is a good idea.  Also some HW
> watchdogs can be told to generate an NMI which can also produce a kernel
> dump/ddb prompt.  I've also implemented some rough code to put an
> simplified back-trace into the IPMI event log in-case a disk or disk
> I/O sub-system died.

Somewhat related... I have 2 32bit systems with zfs which lock up =20
after a while. The lockup is strictly related to the disks. I can =20
still ping the system just fine, and the HW watchdog seems to still =20
work as intended (or it does not work at all anymore, as there's not =20
automatic reset), but as soon as I want to do something which involves =20
disks (access a webpage located on the zfs disks), I'm lost. The only =20
way to get some useful work done again is to reset manually. Your =20
paragraph above implies that the WD notices that there's a problem =20
with disks.

While I know how to teach our watchdogd how to detect this (-e =20
option), we do not have support for this in the basesystem yet. Do you =20
have a patch for /etc/rc.d/watchdogd which allows to specify commands =20
to run via rc.conf or some patch which tells watchdogd to check a file?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Whatever you want to do, you have to do something else first.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137