Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 15:48:28 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, "John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
Subject:   Re: switch tounconditionnal boostrapping while to build the tree

Darnell wrote:
>> i find the statements hard to believe
>>=20
>> why are you doing it that way ?  (using a broken yacc)
> It is not a broken yacc. the yacc import just revealed another problem =
which is
> boostrap tools may needs to be always boostraped (which makes sense if =
you
> really want to support cross-compilation from nearly anywhere.

Cross build support doesn't require that you break things like that.  =
Never had, and never will.  The FreeBSD version is irrelevant to cross =
building, so bootstrapping checks are still needed.  In the cross build, =
the bootstrapping OS version will be 0 and we'll build everything we =
need (possibly more than we would bootstrapping from supported FreeBSD =
versions).

>> why do you believe it's ok to change previous releases that don't use =
that yacc ?
>=20
> To build able to build them on a system that do not have the yacc =
version they
> need, that system could be linux for example or it could be a recent =
head.

You can accomplish this without blowing away the conditionals.

Warner